We are home... next step to backfill all the missing dates ;)

Search This Blog

Monday, April 19, 2010

Techno babble

How you’re going to stay in touch with your home PC is something to consider. For example, online banking, or programs you cant have on your laptop.


SETUP:

  • I installed DynDns on my home computer so I always know the IP of your home computer. Map DynDns to your personal hostname.
  • Setup wake on lan in bios.
  • In my case, I had multiple PC, so I mapped router to my PC’s MAC address so it always gets the same IP internally, and set my PC to static IP (just in case).
  • Next, punch some holes in your firewall: 7/9 for wake on lan, 3389 for remote desktop.
  • I also installed Live Mesh so I could access some folders off-line.
  • Synch the folders you need most often with live mesh. Send yourself an email with your DynDns domain name & your pc’s MAC address.


Connecting:

Connecting is pretty easy. I use http://www.wakeonlan.me to wake my PC, then use either Live Mesh or Remote Desktop to connect.

Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers