We are home... next step to backfill all the missing dates ;)

Search This Blog

Monday, April 26, 2010

Family garden

I read somewhere that people who regularly take care of the garden, on average live 10 years longer than people who don’t. I really dont know if it’s due to mental relaxation, or the physical exercise… i assume at the very least people who garden and live longer due to gardening at least enjoy it. I cant picture something you hate resulting in a longer life. Imagine if colonoscopy prolonged life…

Point is, Yumis grandmother and Grandfather are 93 years old and they are in phenomenal shape. They are fully mobile and have good memory. Grandma shocked me yesterday when she laughed at one of the pictures which was in English. Apparently she took some English SIXTY years ago and still remembers it. Up till last year grandpa used to take an hour long train ride to take care of garden at his house. Now he just jakes care of a small one at Yumis folks house.

IMG_3025 IMG_3026 IMG_3044 IMG_3050

 

 

Good fun. At one point Yumis mom said: “Alex, you’re not working hard enough”. Few minutes later I found out she was saying: “Alex, you don't have to work so hard”.



IMG_3063IMG_3090 IMG_3095 
 


Later that day we went to city hall. Apparently up to this point Yumi was still single in Japan. I guess no one signs anything, but instead they use personal stamps. Yumi said it far more secure than an actual signature. I thought it was very neat when she pulled out her little velvet covered stamp case.

 

 

 

IMG_3100IMG_3103IMG_3106IMG_3107

IMG_3114 IMG_3123

IMG_3132The day ended with shabu-shabu. We basically toss raw ingredients into shared pot of boiling water, alternating between meats and veggies.Japanese standard for good meat and American one differ immensely. Marbalicious goodness of beer fed and hand massaged cows is lost to many Americans in favor of lean bright red beef. (and no, kobe beef is not #1). Oh well, lower demand, lower price, more for me. VERY OISHII!

Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers