We are home... next step to backfill all the missing dates ;)

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Arrival in Japan – Narita Airport lobby

IMG_2692_thumb

We had one of the roughest landings I’ve ever experienced. Looking at the wings, I thought they would break off at any moment… or maybe the plane was flapping them trying to stay in the air. At least the pilot was there to comfort us: “The flight attendants will remain seated for the landing, so today we’ll be on honor system. Please put your chairs in their upright positions and stow away your trays. … In case of water landing please leave your carry-ons on the plane”

 

What a day to land in Japan… it was the coldest day in the last 58 years.

 

I guess I am just a magnet for trouble. After Yumi forced me to shave my 6-day face fuzz (in the airport bathroom) she left to call her sister that we’ve arrived. It was literally 7 seconds from her getting up two Japanese police officers appeared next to me. They stood right over me as I slouched back in the chair with my feet on my suitcase hesitating over whatever they were about to ask. After about 5-10 seconds of smiling and looking back and forth between each other and me they spoke. They asked if I would be ok to have my passport randomly examined. I chuckled (on the inside) at the prospect of saying “no” but gave them my passport. They again asked me if they could copy some information (passport number and visa number) and asked something else. I didnt understand. They hesitating again. I said “Hazukashi garanai de” – dont be shy. A very informal and humorous phrase. They laughed and asked if I spoke Japanese, “a little” i said. I understood about 30% of what the cop asked me next, we laughed and strung along the next few minutes of conversation. They left and 20 seconds later Yumi came back, completely oblivious to what just happened.

 

I cant wait to see how her parents react to this story.

Update: This story just keeps on giving. We told it a few times over a few beers and each time spent a good hour laughing about the experience. Good story.

IMG_2698

IMG_2702 One of the best parts of Japan is ice cream. I read case studies on Dryers and Hersheys, and I just dont understand why the hell they cant use better butter!?  Seriously, is it so fucking hard??  It’s a $1 and it’s just sooooooooo addictively good. Thai has its massages, Japan has ice cream! The only place that even comes close is Russia. (I remember feeling shitty years ago when I went to buy a 5 Ruble ice cream and I had a wallet full of 1000 rubble bills. The taste was  luckily well worth it.)

Share

2 comments:

Stranger in a Strange Land. said...

I should practice that "Hazukashi garanai de".
btw, what else did you guy converse w/ the cops? Did you mention anything about their mothers?

Why did I have to make another profile? said...

Ha, I knew everyone within earshot was already listening and I felt the room go even quieter when I dropped that one. I was having a blast, not sure about everyone listening in. I should be starting school in a few weeks, I'll make sure to start with some mom jokes :)

Post a Comment

Followers