We are home... next step to backfill all the missing dates ;)

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Family dinner

During the time I’ve been with Yumi, I met a lot of international couples, and as I got to know them, I was almost always surprised by the simplicity… no, the lonesomeness of their wedding celebration. In nearly every case just a few relatives attended, and in many cases even the closest friends were excluded from one side or the other. When the time came for us, I was determined to avoid one-sided festivities. From this perspective, it really was really an easy choice.

I didn’t want a huge wedding, just a happy one. We talked about it and decided to have a small wedding and two large celebrations, one in Seattle and one in Japan. As it happens, we’ll have three :) Apparently in Japan friends and family celebrate separately.

This was the first time I met most of Yumis family. Her fathers side of the family is huge, two brothers, each with kids and one of them has kids of his own.

It’s a Japanese tradition to walk around the table and share the drink with everyone present. Needless to say we got plastered very quickly, but enjoyed a conversation with everyone. Fantastic tradition. Drinking was a hell of a lot less nerve wrecking than meeting everyone at the door for the first time.

The dinner took place at the most prestigious restaurant of the area – it was either a castle or still a castle, and the last emperor of Edo era spent some time there.

IMG_2806

IMG_2809

IMG_2827

IMG_2830

I should really do something about eating at my own parties. This was the 2nd time I didnt get to enjoy the food at my wedding reception.


IMG_2836IMG_2841IMG_2844 IMG_2847

Tomo quickly constructed baby jail in the corner.


 

 

 


My pleads for being comfortable at my own party were widely ignored and i was forced to wear a tie for the remainder of the partyIMG_2856IMG_2872IMG_2883IMG_2885

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_2886

IMG_2893

IMG_2904

IMG_2905

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_2909

IMG_2929

Apparently that stone marker carries tremendous meaning, so much that some people have dinner at this place just so they could have a picture here. Had a waitress not flagged us down, I would have never known ^^;

IMG_2970

Money are given in these colorful envelopes, we were fortunate to get a couple of these.

Share

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You guys looks wonderful!!! And Alex...if you didn't spend all your time boozing, you could have enjoyed the food...I know I did at the reception! :-)

Stranger in a Strange Land. said...

Its weird to see you in a full-dress.
-- savas

Why did I have to make another profile? said...

I got a vest some place too...

Post a Comment

Followers