We are home... next step to backfill all the missing dates ;)

Search This Blog

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Takasaki - leaning statue temple – Kanon-sama at Kanon Yama

During my driving around the city I found some pointers to a park on top of a mountain and discovered a really neat temple. Apparently Yumi was planning on taking me there the next day so I’ll bulk both of our visits together. The road up to the temple looked like a racetrack! …and I am not the only one to think that, there were skid marks all over the place, but since I’m noob @ driving in Japan I didnt know where it was ok to pull over and take pics, so I took them ‘on the fly’.

IMG_4674

You can see the statue way in the distance above the street sign.

IMG_4692IMG_4696IMG_4708 IMG_4714IMG_4716IMG_4720IMG_4737IMG_4918

IMG_4790IMG_4723 IMG_4758

 

IMG_4778

While looking at the map of the park I couldnt figure out which way was north, and thus couldnt figure out which way was the bridge. That’s aside from why there was a bridge in a middle of a forest… Luckily I knew that hashi was bridge in Japanese, which made asking for directions easy… or so I thought. The couple I asked for directions looked at me as if I was asking them for a kidney and after some time said they had no idea. I tried asking them again and got the same response. Luckily an older lady overheard my question and happily pointed the way to a hashi. The couple I was asking for directions earlier suddenly had a ‘light bulb’ moment and exclaimed: aaaaaaah, hashi. You mean hashi not hashi!!! Now I get you. WTF!? Hashi = bridge, also hashi means chopsticks. Why in gods name would i be asking for chopsticks when there is a bridge 200 meters away… They must have thought the exact same thing. Why the fuck is he asking us for chopsticks!?

IMG_4676IMG_4693IMG_4677IMG_4812IMG_4814IMG_4815

It’s definitely a blessing and a curse that I dont have a better car in Japan. On the one hand I am safe(er) and on the other I really cant enjoy driving all these mountain passes the way I otherwise could.

Share

1 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers