Highlights:
Best seats on the train. How? Train attendant (obviously surprised to see us in a ‘hard sleeper section’ as we were the only foreigners for the next 6 carts) asked us for tickets, and I asked if we could upgrade. She offered me to move from 3rd level to 1st level at a price of $15. I said, yea, great… say, could we get a soft sleeper? Excitedly she said follow and lead us to a small private room with two soft sleeper beds and train attendants in them. She said, 300,000 and I happily agreed thinking 300k ($15) each, but it was 300k total! The staff happily took our seats and I was left feeling happy and slightly guilty. I’ll give each staff 50k at the end of the journey. Kindness should be rewarded :)
Cu Chi (クチトンネル)
今日は夜7時の寝台列車に乗るために半日ツアーに参加。ベトナム戦争当時、解放戦線によって掘られた200Kmにも及ぶ地下トンネル。アメリカ軍が大量枯葉剤投下で反抗したけど、最後まで攻略できなかった、当時一万人近くが住んだ大規模な地下トンネルを見に行きました。
今日のガイドのおっちゃんは強烈だった~。熱い熱い。でも実際彼はベトナム人だけど米軍としてベトナム戦争に参加していた人でした。終戦とともにアメリカに移民できたのを拒否したため戦争犯罪者として5年間刑務所にいたとか、いろいろ実体験を聞いて途中私も涙がでそうなほどでした。
とにかく、彼曰くベトナム戦争は一方的にアメリカがベトナムに対してひどいことをしたってなってるけど、実際はそうではないって強く主張。私達が昨日すでに言ってしまった戦争博物館にはお願いだから行かないでくれって参加者に言ってました。たしかに、博物館はいかにアメリカ軍かひどいことをしたかを伝えるようなところなんだよね。。。。本当に複雑です。あんまりベトナム戦争について知らない私はちゃんと勉強したいなって気になりました。。。。
いよいよ実際にトンネル内に入ります。狭かった~しかもしゃがみながらしか進めないドンネルは約10ほど続きました。これも体の大きい米軍が通ることが出来ないようにという策略だそうです。少し閉所恐怖症のある私は息が詰まりそうに。。体の大きい人は大抵途中で脱落だけど、アレックスはハイハイでなんとか最後まで。次の日はひどい筋肉痛になってました。。。
街の電線の状態。。。
ベトナムはこの時期毎日スコールのような大雨が降ります。最近その予測が出来るようになってきた私達。大雨の直前にレストランに駆け込んで今日も塗れずにすみました。
Sleeping Train
I love communist countries with a spice of entrepreneurship. Tons of travel agencies selling train tickets and no two agents are alike. Two agents right next to each other can have tickets as far as 40 dollars apart (a fortune in Vietnam) for the same seats. They’ll swear on their mothers grave that service is different and other guy is not being honest, and that he had many bad reports, and etc, etc, etc… After a few ‘travel agent’ attempts I decided to try the train station; I figured it would be cheaper. In response to where is the train station, most agents will say any number of things, ranging from, tickets are not sold to foreigners, taxi to train station is $20, so you might as well buy from me, or smirk and tell you good luck. Meanwhile, a mere 20 steps away, there is a spacious, air conditioned government office selling train tickets at fixed prices. This is where all of the agents call to check availability and buy your ticket. CLASSIC!!!!
Taxi to train station from just about anywhere is 40,000 - $2 – 20 minutes… even if it was $4, I think most people could swing that without breaking a sweat. A ticket from Saigon half way across the country – 17 hours – is $30, we got quoted prices from $45 to $70.
Another funny. We got a quote from US travel agency for a ticket Bangkok - Japan – Seattle for $1100. Local travel agency quoted $4700.
夜七時。寝台列車に乗るために駅へ。かなりアドベンチャーな旅になりました。。。
サイゴンからダナンまで17時間の夜行列車に挑戦。前日チケットを買いに行ったところ、ソフトマットレスの4人部屋の席が完売。。。仕方なくハードマットレスの6人部屋の席(コーチクラス)を購入。当日、電車の自分の席にいってみてびっくり!!!狭い!!3段ベットの一番上二つが私とアレックスなんだけど、私でさえ背を伸ばして座ることも出来ない!!!3段目のベットの空間は1段目2段目よりかなり狭くて明らかにアレックスがフィットしないんだよね。。。。
周りの乗客はベトナム人しかいなくて、じろじろ見てくるし、私達もどうしたらいいのかと通路をうろうろしていたところ、駅員さんが登場。。。ベットの一段目が空いているからお金を少し払えば使っていいよって言ってきました。そこでアレックスがもっといい席が空いてれば移動したいって言ってみたところ。。。。添乗員用で彼女たちが使っているプライベートルームに私達を連れて行き、1500円払えば、その彼女たちのプライベートルームを使わせてくれると言ってきました。。。その代わり彼女たちは私達のベットを使うと。。。
たったの1500円で私達はプライベートルーム。コンセントもあるからパソコンで映画を見ることもできるではありませんか!!確かに、きれいではないけど、この電車でどんなにお金を払ってもプライベートの部屋はもらえないし、なにより安全。。添乗員さんにとっても1500円ポケットマネーが出来て嬉しそうだした。言ってみるもんだね。。アレックスに感謝です。
Share
0 comments:
Post a Comment