We are home... next step to backfill all the missing dates ;)

Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

Myanmar (Bangkok to Yangon) – Day1

Myamar travels were off to a VERY rough start. 8am I woke up to Yumis’ words “…Alex, I think the visa on arrival is discontinued”… that’s litereally hours before our departure. Later that day Yumi said that in all the time she knew me that was the fastest I ever woke up…  Over the next hour I was searching the internet for any validation of that scary fact. A few forums here and there claim VOA is not available, however there are no official or supporting documents. Simply people saying, I heard it here, i heard that there.  AirAsia claims VOA is still available. Myanmar embassy in Bangkok claims it’s still in full effect, Myanmar embassy in Washington DC has VOA on the front page with all the forms. We finally used Skype to call Japanese consulate and they confirmed that VOA was suddenly discontinued a few days out. It seems that no formal notice was issued and no one really cares…

By 10 am we were in a Myanmar embassy. Yumi in line filling out forms, I ran down the street to look for passport photos. I came back with booking passes, photos, return tickets, etc. Despite countless reports of rude agents, and groundless refusals, we didnt have much problems. To my utter surprise they said our visa will be ready by 2pm and we simply had to pay the expedite fee.

…2pm is when I realized that it’s not all sweet and dandy. Our visa hadn’t even been started on yet, and the guy casually continued going through a meteagain, I showed booking passes, and explained that if visa is not ready now we wont be able to get to the plain. I guess they pulled the big boss out of the meeting and ………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

7月、日本でミャンマー大使館に電話。今までビザ取得がめんどくさかったミャンマーがヤンゴン国際空港でのビザオンアライバルを開始されたことを知らされました。ビザを前もって取得しなくても大丈夫だと言われて、今日の今日までそれを信じてました。が、ミャンマーに出発当日の朝、バンコクのホテルでミャンマーの情報を得ようと日本語で検索してみると「ビザオンアライバル9月に一時停止」っていう記事を発見!!!即、アレックスを起こして大使館などのホームページを見てもそんな記事何もないし、航空会社のホームページにも「ビザオンアライバルが開始」っていう記事しか載ってない。。。すぐに、バンコクにあるミャンマー大使館に電話したけど繋がらないし、パニックに陥りながらも、やっと日本のミャンマー大使館と電話がつながった!やっぱり、ビザオンアライバルが選挙の関係で突然のキャンセル。とにかく、バンコクのミャンマー大使館に出むくように言われて、だめもとで行ってみることにしました。午後4時半のフライトまで残り5時間!!!

ミャンマー大使館。とにかく、大使館員に事情を説明。どうやらそういう観光客が多いらしく、通常3日かかるビザをお金を払えば3時間で出してくれると。。。それでも、飛行機にぎりぎりだけど、やるしかない!!とりあえず、書類を提出、2時に戻ってくるように言われ、とりあえずホテルに戻りチェックアウト。ミャンマーに行くためにいろいろ買い物をしたかったけど、全然時間がないし、食べる時間もないまま。。。全ての荷物をもって大使館に。。

が。2時に出来ているはずのビザが出来てない。。。。どうやら、最後にサインをしなければいけないお偉いさんがランチタイムだとか。。。。さすが、ミャンマー。。。私達と同じ状況で同じ飛行機に乗る観光客も他に4人いて、同じようにいらいら不安な様子。アレックスが大使館員に飛行機の搭乗券を見せて4時半の飛行機をアピールするとやっと状況を把握してくれた、大使館員がお偉いさんに掛け合ってくれることになりました。。。

2時45分。ビザ取得。タクシーに乗って、猛スピードで空港へ。3時40分空港に到着。。。

4時30分離陸。とにかく間に合いました。。そして、無事ヤンゴン空港に到着。

 IMG_4748 IMG_4778

ホテルをまだ予約してない私達はとりあえず、ダウンタウンに行って何個か目星をつけておいたホテルを見ることにしました。が、ヤンゴンは本当に汚いし、とにかく建物が古いうえに、ホテルが高い。。走ってる車も70~80年代のみ。建物も新しい建物なんてどこにもない。他の発展途上国(タイとかベトナム)とかはまだ先進国に比べると貧しいけど新しいビルや道路なんかをつくり続けてて、発展をしている感じ。でも、ヤンゴンは全ての建物が50年ぐらい前に建てて、その後の発展が止まっている感じ。。さらに、着いた直後からヤンゴン市内は停電中。。。。。

結局それなりのホテルに泊まることになったけど、これから大丈夫かしら??

ミャンマーは軍事国家でかなり謎が多い国。ちなみに、私達が使えるATMはミャンマーには一つもありませんでした(インターネットには全国には15のATMがあるって書いてあったけど。それが使えるって意味ではなかったらしい。。。)一日$100計算で$1000ほどしか持ってこなかった私達は10日間をこれで切り盛りしなければならず。。。この先どうなることやら。。。

Share

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers